NOTICE

NOTICE

I tweet, therefore I are

Monday, August 3, 2015

When Famine Strikes

“An empty stomach is not a good political adviser.”  Albert Einstein

“Bread, soup - these were my whole life. I was a body. Perhaps less than that even: a starved stomach. The stomach alone was aware of the passage of time.”― Elie Wiesel

“One-third to one-half of humanity are said to go to bed hungry every night. In the Old Stone Age the fraction must have been much smaller. This is the era of hunger unprecedented. Now, in the time of the greatest technical power, is starvation an institution. Reverse another venerable formula: the amount of hunger increases relatively and absolutely with the evolution of culture.”
 
Marshall Sahlins, Stone Age Economics, 


 
I am a fat person.  Not as fat as some, far fatter than others.  I live in the US where less people are hungry than in other countries.  I don't feel complete guilt over this, but I do realize that speaking about hunger and famine can seem hypocritical to people when I am larger than ideal.  For those looking to aim insults, I am 6'4" and 250 lbs.  Use those as you will.  I have given to charities and have tried to use my various blogs at various times to share info, but I realize, it isn't enough.  How could it be, when people are dying from it all.  According to a statistic I read, 27% of all food gathered, meat, dairy, dried, canned, fresh, frozen... is lost due to waste.  If that is true, and the source was legitimate, then it is a horrible crime.  To waste when people are dying...


From the moment that the earth was born
The land was fertile so long as it could drink
Until the rains never fell
The rains then could never quench
The thirst eternal
So long as the soil was not ripped
Upturned, exposed
The moisture could restore
The land evermore
But humans change their lands
However they might as they will
To feed perhaps to plow
To build of course
To pave











However they wish
Keep digging they say
But it is their own graves
They might use their wisdom
If they stopped to think
Instead they appear as fools
The land could be renewed
By the natural course if followed
But the land is made unable
From all the demands made
Every layer of soil disturbed
To make room for a foundation
Of cement or brick
Or pavement


















Green will pass to brown
Then the famine will begin
First the poor will fall
Then the workers will grow hungry
Then they will fall
And the middle class will become famished
Then only the wealthy will be able
To afford to feed their children
In a fashion that feels normal
While the world screams in pain
For their hunger pangs are fierce
And the world shrivels
As the flesh turns blue




LINKS to fight hunger:

WORLD HUNGER


FEED MY STARVING CHILDREN


STOP HUNGER NOW